FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How many tickets are available for sale?
Heroes Lottery: There are 445,000 tickets available for sale.
50/50 Plus: There are 538,000 tickets available for sale.
- How much do tickets cost?
Heroes Lottery: 3packs for $75, 6packs for $100, and 20packs for $275.
50/50 Plus: 2packs for $15, 6packs for $30, and 20packs for $60.
- How can I obtain a winners’ list?
A complete searchable winner’s database will be available on this webpage on or before August 21, 2016. A list of winners will also be published in The Province Newspaper on August 21, 2016.
- What are the odds of winning?
Heroes Lottery: Chances are 1 in 445,000 (total tickets for sale) to win a grand prize. Actual odds depend on number of tickets sold. All inquiries, if any, on the odds of winning, are to be made to the licensee prior to the purchase of ticket(s).
50/50 Plus: Odds of winning the 50/50 prize will depend on the number of tickets sold.
- What is the 50/50 plus prize
50/50 Plus maximum prize payout can be $1,095,000, however the 50/50 Plus prize is dependent on the number of tickets sold.
- What happens if a bad payment is received?
If your cheque is returned to us by the bank or if a credit card payment is charged back you will be contacted by MNP LLP and given an opportunity to provide replacement payment within two business days. Any tickets issued will be considered invalid until replacement payment is received.
- How old do you have to be to purchase a ticket?
Purchasers must be at least 19 years of age. If a winning ticket bears a minor’s name, the prize will be lawfully delivered on behalf of the minor to the minor’s parent, legal guardian or trustee.
- Can Heroes’ Lottery tickets be purchased online?
Yes. The rules governing British Columbia Charitable Lotteries allow for online ticket order taking.
- Ticket purchasers must be physically in the province of BC when placing the order;
- They must be residents of BC; and,
- The address given for tickets to be mailed to must be a valid BC address.
Non-residents of British Columbia cannot purchase tickets by phone, fax mail or over the Internet.
- Can I purchase tickets if I am not a resident of British Columbia?
Yes, but there are certain restrictions and conditions which must be met.
Tickets must be purchased at a retail sales outlet. Non-residents of British Columbia cannot purchase tickets by phone, fax, mail, or over the Internet.
The lottery is intended for BC residents. Ticket buyers must be in British Columbia at the time of purchase. A non-resident of British Columbia may purchase a ticket if the entire payment transaction takes place while the person is in British Columbia and if the ticket or a receipt is issued at that time. Tickets can be mailed to addresses outside the province of British Columbia.
A non-resident of British Columbia cannot purchase a ticket via the Internet, by phone, by fax or by mail but must purchase at a retail sales outlet only.
Tickets or receipts cannot be distributed to, mailed or otherwise sent to a non-residents third-party address in British Columbia.
- How many prizes will be awarded?
Heroes Lottery: 3,068 prizes will be awarded
50/50 Plus: 1 prize will be awarded. (The money received in ticket sales will be divided evenly between the winner and the charity)
- What is the total prize value?
Heroes Lottery: Approximately $2,909,638 based on MSRP as provided by our suppliers and includes related taxes.
- Is my ticket purchase tax deductible?
No, lottery tickets are not tax deductible; even though proceeds support a charitable cause.
- Where do the proceeds from the Heroes Lottery go?
The proceeds from the Heroes Lottery support the highly trained trauma teams and medical specialists at VGH, UBC Hospital, and GF Strong Rehab Centre by funding urgently required medical equipment and important patient-focused research. The BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund, which operates education, prevention and support programs like the annual Burn Camp for young burn survivors also benefits.
- If I win the Heroes Welcome Draw, Bonus #1 Draw, Bonus #2 Draw, or the Early Bird Draw, do I still qualify for the other prize draws including the Grand Prize?
Yes, after each draw the winner is recorded and the ticket number then goes back in for every prize category. Tickets must be purchased before the designated cut-off dates to be eligible for a prize.
- What if I lose my ticket?
You do not need your ticket to claim your prize. Your name, address, and phone number are recorded in the database along with your ticket number. If you would like a replacement ticket, you can call 604-536-2105 or toll free 1-888-536-2105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do I have to pay tax on any winnings?
Lottery winnings are considered a windfall and not taxable in Canada.
We respect your privacy. VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation protects personal information and adheres to all legislative requirements with respect to privacy.
We do not rent, sell, or trade our mailing lists. Information provided through ticket purchase will be used to deliver services and keep you informed on Foundation activities, including programs, services, and special events, funding needs, opportunities to volunteer or give and more, through periodic contacts.
To be removed form these contacts, call 604-875-4676 or email email@example.com.
- Can I request a specific ticket number?
No. Ticket numbers are computer-generated in ascending order starting at a pre-determined number.
- Can I purchase tickets in multiple names?
Yes, although one person will be designated as the primary purchaser and will be responsible for distributing the winnings between the multiple purchasers. The licensee is not responsible for distributing winnings or resolving disputes between ticket purchasers.
- How long do I have to claim my prize?
Prizes must be claimed within twelve (12) months of the Final Draw.
The Grand Prize winner must decide on which option they are taking within 10 days of being awarded the prize.
- How will I know if I have won a prize?
If a prize is won that has a value greater than $1,000, the primary ticket purchaser will be notified by phone. If a prize is won that has a value of $1,000 or less, the primary ticket purchaser will receive a letter in the mail. All prize winners will be published in The Province Newspaper and on our website at www.heroeslottey.com on August 21,2016.
- How long does it take to receive my ticket?
You should receive your ticket in approximately 2 – 3 weeks after the order is placed. If you do not receive your ticket(s) within 2- 3 weeks, you may call 604-536-2105 or 1-888-536-2105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- When are the deadlines for ticket sales?
Heroes Welcome Deadline
Midnight May 13th, 2016
Bonus No.1 Deadline
Midnight May 27th, 2016
Bonus No. 2 Deadline
Midnight June 10th, 2016
Early Bird Deadline
Midnight June 29th, 2016
Final Sales Deadline
Midnight July 13th, 2016
- How can I be sure my tickets are in the draw?
The professional services firm, MNP LLP, ensures that all paid tickets are in the draw.
- Will my name be publicized if I am a winner?
Yes, all winners’ names are publicized as part of the winners list.
- How are the prizes awarded?
Heroes Lottery: Tickets are drawn manually from a barrel in random order. All prizes are awarded in ascending value. Each ticket is re-entered for every prize category
50/50 Plus: The 50/50 winner is drawn manually from a barrel
**Separate barrels are used for both the Heroes Lottery and the 50/50 Plus Draw.
- What are the guidelines for buying tickets?
- Purchase by phone, fax, mail, online or in person at the prize homes, London Drugs, or the VGH Hospital.
- One method of payment only for phone, fax and web orders.
- Credit Cards accepted are Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. PLEASE NOTE: WE DO NOT ACCEPT VISA DEBIT CARDS FOR PURCHASES BY PHONE, FAX OR ONLINE.
- Mail in purchases can be made by Credit Card, Cheque or Money Order.
- London Drugs will not accept Personalized Cheques, but they will accept Money Orders (made out to London Drugs Limited), Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Cash.
- The prize homes will accept Personalized Cheques as well as Money Orders (made out to Heroes Lottery), Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Cash.
- The sales kiosk at the Hospital will accept Cheques, Money Orders (made out to Heroes Lottery), Cash, and Credit Cards. Debit Cards may or may not be accepted.
- All Cheques should be made payable to Heroes Lottery.
- All 3packs, 6packs, or 20packs must contain the same purchaser’s information and will be mailed to the primary ticket holder.
- 50/50 Plus orders will not be accepted without the purchase of a Heroes Lottery 3pack, 6pack or 20pack.
- Each 50/50 Plus Lottery ticket must contain the same customer information as the Heroes Lottery 3pack, 6pack or 20pack it was sold in conjunction with.