On the first day of Spring Break in 2018, Sammy Badger, 17, was enjoying a bonfire with her friends by the Squamish River.
Then in an instant everything changed. Someone threw an accelerant into the fire. The explosion engulfed Sammy’s head and hand in a ball of flame.
“I was on fire and one of the kids across from me basically jumped through the flames towards me and pushed me to the ground and yelled, Roll, roll!” says Sammy.
Sammy closed her eyes and mouth and rolled in the sand, putting out the fire.
Sammy couldn’t open her eyes and her head was in scorching pain. She needed expert medical care — the kind found only at Vancouver General Hospital, the major burn referral centre for adults in BC.