Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many tickets are available for sale?
Heroes Lottery: There are 445,000 tickets available for sale.
50/50 Plus Lottery: There are 548,000 tickets available for sale.
Daily Cash Plus Game: There are 180,000 tickets available for sale.
2. How much do tickets cost?
Heroes Lottery: 3packs for $75, 6packs for $100, and 20packs for $275.
50/50 Plus Lottery: 2packs for $15, 6packs for $30, and 20packs for $60.
Daily Cash Plus Game: 2packs for $25 and 6packs are $50.
3. How can I obtain a winners’ list?
A complete searchable winner’s database will be available on this webpage on or before August 11, 2019. A list of winners will also be published in The Province Newspaper on August 11, 2019.
4. What are the odds of winning?
Heroes Lottery: Chances are 1 in 445,000 (total tickets for sale) to win a grand prize. Actual odds depend on number of tickets sold. All inquiries, if any, on the odds of winning, are to be made to the licensee prior to the purchase of ticket(s).
50/50 Plus Lottery: Chances of winning the 50/50 prize will depend on the number of tickets sold.
Daily Cash Plus Game: Chances are 1 in 180,000 (total tickets for sale) to win a grand prize.
5. What is the 50/50 plus prize
50/50 Plus maximum prize payout can be $1,110,000, however the 50/50 Plus prize is dependent on the number of tickets sold.
6. What happens if a bad payment is received?
If your cheque is returned to us by the bank or if a credit card payment is charged back, you will be contacted by MNP LLP and given an opportunity to provide replacement payment within two business days. Any tickets issued will be considered invalid until replacement payment is received.
7. How old do you have to be to purchase a ticket?
Purchasers must be at least 19 years of age. If a winning ticket bears a minor’s name, the prize will be lawfully delivered on behalf of the minor to the minor’s parent, legal guardian or trustee.
8. Can Heroes’ Lottery tickets be purchased online?
Yes. The rules governing British Columbia Charitable Lotteries allow for online ticket order taking.
- Ticket purchasers must be physically in the province of BC when placing the order;
- They must be residents of BC; and,
- The address given for tickets to be mailed to must be a valid BC address.
9. Can I purchase tickets if I am not a resident of British Columbia?
Yes, but there are certain restrictions and conditions which must be met. A non-resident of British Columbia may purchase a ticket only if the entire payment transaction takes place while the person is physically in British Columbia and if the ticket or a receipt is issued at that time. Tickets must be purchased at a retail sales outlet. (London Drugs, Vancouver General Hospital, or one of the prize homes that is open and selling tickets.)
If a receipt is issued, the licensee must as soon as possible mail the confirmation of ticket numbers purchased to the purchaser at the out-of-province address provided. If for any reason the purchaser does not receive the confirmation by the time of the draw, the receipt will count as a valid confirmation of the ticket purchase.
A non-resident of British Columbia cannot purchase a ticket via the Internet, by phone, by fax or by mail but must purchase at a retail sales outlet only.
Tickets or receipts will not be distributed to, mailed or otherwise sent to a non-resident’s third-party address in B.C.
10. Can I purchase tickets if I am a resident of British Columbia, but currently out of the province?
A resident of British Columbia may purchase a ticket only if the entire payment transaction takes place while the person is physically in British Columbia and if the ticket or a receipt is issued at that time. When a resident of British Columbia is outside the province of British Columbia they may not place an order to purchase tickets. This restriction includes all methods of ordering tickets including mailing in your order. For further information on restrictions on purchasing, please see Standard Procedures for Ticket Raffles, Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch, Province of British Columbia. The website for this information is http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-revreation-arts-and-culture/gambling/licences/procedures-ticket-raffle.pdf. Please see Section 9 for specific details on purchasing restrictions.
11. How many prizes will be awarded?
Heroes Lottery: 3,169 prizes will be awarded.
50/50 Plus Lottery: 1 prize will be awarded. (The money received in ticket sales will be divided evenly between the winner and the charity).
Daily Cash Plus Game: 209 prizes will be awarded.
12. What is the total prize value?
Heroes Lottery: Approximately $3,400,734 based on MSRP as provided by our suppliers and includes related taxes.
50/50 Plus Lottery: Total prize value is dependent on number of tickets sold.
Daily Cash Plus Game: Total prize value is $300,000.
13. Is my ticket purchase tax deductible?
No, lottery tickets are not tax deductible; even though proceeds support a charitable cause.
14. On my Official Ticket, where are my ticket numbers?
On the official ticket sheet, which is an normal letter size piece of paper, your official ticket numbers are listed on the right hand side of the sheet below the Heroes Lottery shield. The first group of numbers will be for the Main Heroes Lottery, the second group of numbers will be for the 50/50 Plus Lottery and the third group of numbers will be for the Daily Cash Plus Game. Should you not purchase either the 50/50 Plus Lottery or the Daily Cash Plus Game, these categories will not be printed.
15. Where do the proceeds from the Heroes Lottery go?
Your ticket purchase raises funds for specialized adult health services and research for all British Columbians. We partner with donors to drive innovation and sustainable health care at VGH, UBC Hospital, GF Strong Rehab Centre, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute and Vancouver Community Health Services. Funds also support programs of the B.C. Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund including the annual Burn Camp for young burn survivors.
16. If I win the Heroes Welcome Draw, Travel Bonus Draw, Summer Escape Draw, or the Early Bird Draw, do I still qualify for the other prize draws including the Grand Prize?
Yes, after each draw the winner is recorded and the ticket number then goes back in for every prize category. Tickets must be purchased before the designated cut-off dates to be eligible for a prize.
17. What if I lose my ticket?
You do not need your ticket to claim your prize. Your name, address, and phone number are recorded in the database along with your ticket number. If you would like a replacement ticket, you can call 604-536-2105 or toll free 1-888-536-2105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
18. Do I have to pay tax on any winnings?
Lottery winnings are considered a windfall and not taxable in Canada.
We respect your privacy. VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation protects personal information and adheres to all legislative requirements with respect to privacy.
We do not rent, sell, or trade our mailing lists. Information provided through ticket purchase will be used to deliver services and keep you informed on Foundation activities, including programs, services, and special events, funding needs, opportunities to volunteer or give and more, through periodic contacts.
To be removed from these contacts, call 604-875-4676 or email email@example.com.
20. Can I request a specific ticket number?
No. Ticket numbers are computer-generated in ascending order starting at a pre-determined number.
21. Can I purchase tickets in multiple names?
Yes, although one person will be designated as the primary purchaser and will be responsible for distributing the winnings between the multiple purchasers. The licensee is not responsible for distributing winnings or resolving disputes between ticket purchasers.
22. How long do I have to claim my prize?
Prizes must be claimed within twelve (12) months of the Final Draw. The Grand Prize winner must decide on which option they are taking within 10 days of being awarded the prize.
23. How will I know if I have won a prize?
If a prize is won that has a value greater than $1,000, the primary ticket purchaser will be notified by phone. If a prize is won that has a value of $1,000 or less, the primary ticket purchaser will receive a letter in the mail. All prize winners will be published in The Province Newspaper and on our website at heroeslottery.com on, or before, August 11, 2019.
24. How long does it take to receive my ticket?
You should receive your ticket in approximately 2 – 3 weeks after the order is placed. If you do not receive your ticket(s) within 2 – 3 weeks, you may call 604-536-2105 or 1-888-536-2105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
25. When are the deadlines for ticket sales?
Heroes Welcome Deadline
Midnight May 10th, 2019
Travel Bonus Draw Deadline
Midnight May 24th, 2019
Home Improvement Draw Deadline
Midnight June 7th, 2019
Early Bird Deadline
Midnight June 27th, 2019
Final Sales Deadline
Midnight July 11th, 2019
26. How can I be sure my tickets are in the draw?
The professional services firm, MNP LLP, ensures that all paid tickets are in the draw.
27. Will my name be publicized if I am a winner?
Yes, all winners’ names are publicized as part of the winners list.
28. How are the prizes awarded?
Heroes Lottery: Grand Prize Winner is drawn manually from a barrel. All other winners will be chosen using a Random Number Generator. All prizes are awarded in ascending value. Each ticket is re-entered for every prize category
50/50 Plus Lottery: The 50/50 winner is chosen using a Random Number Generator
Daily Cash Plus Game: Winners are chosen using a Random Number Generator. All prizes are awarded in ascending value. Each ticket is reentered for every prize category.
29. What are the guidelines for buying tickets?
- Purchase by phone, fax, mail, online, or in person at designated prize homes, London Drugs, or the VGH Hospital.
- One method of payment only for phone, fax and web orders.
- Credit Cards accepted are Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. PLEASE NOTE: WE DO NOT ACCEPT VISA DEBIT CARDS FOR PURCHASES BY PHONE, BY FAX, OR BY CANADA POST MAIL
- Mail in purchases can be made by Credit Card, Cheque or Money Order.
- London Drugs will not accept Personalized Cheques, but they will accept Money Orders (made out to London Drugs Limited), Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Cash.
- The prize homes will accept Personalized Cheques as well as Money Orders (made out to Heroes Lottery), Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Cash.
- The sales kiosk at the Hospital will accept Cheques, Money Orders (made out to Heroes Lottery), Cash, and Credit Cards. Debit Cards may or may not be accepted.
- All Cheques should be made payable to Heroes Lottery.
- All 3packs, 6packs, or 20packs must contain the same purchaser’s information and will be mailed to the primary ticket holder.
- 50/50 Plus orders will not be accepted without the purchase of a Heroes Lottery 3pack, 6pack or 20pack.
- Each 50/50 Plus Lottery ticket must contain the same customer information as the Heroes Lottery 3pack, 6pack or 20pack that the purchaser information corresponds to.
- Daily Cash Plus Game orders will not be accepted without the purchase of a Heroes Lottery 3pack, 6pack or 20pack
- Each Daily Cash Plus Game ticket must contain the same customer information as the Heroes Lottery 3pack, 6pack or 20pack that the purchaser information corresponds to.